Saturday, May 3, 2008

Anna-Jane's First Food

On Saturday, we gave Anna-Jane real food!! This is just about the cutest and most fun thing to do with a baby (so far...)!! I, of course, had to whip out my new lens and within 5 min. I had about 50 shots of my child eating a spoonful of avocado. We picked avocado for a few reasons. First it has a ton of the "good" calories and fat. It is a fruit (the preferred first food). I found this on a website:
"Avocado makes a great first food for baby due to it's texture and creaminess as well as it's high nutrient content. A wonderful "good fat" food for baby's brain and physical development."

She loved it! If you start babies too early on solids, you know because most of it comes right back out of their mouth. Anna-Jane has been watching us eat lately and grabbing for our plates so we figured this might be a good time to try. We used her spatula (it was pictured as a favorite teething toy on an earlier post) to feed her because I didn't (we do now) have spoons yet and because it was familiar to her. She pulled that spatula to her face almost faster than I could set up my camera settings! So the feast and funny faces began. It is very comical to see babies trying new foods...their faces say: "uh, mom....what the heck are you putting in my mouth??". Despite the "what the heck?!" faces, she truly enjoyed it. Amazingly almost all of it went down and not much ended up being spit back out!! I am waiting to see how it digests before I try again, but we'll most likely be back to it soon.

So I put a little slide show together to document it. There are quite a few, but I couldn't delete any so gold star to you if you make it through the whole thing!

2 comments:

Emily said...

Jacob loved avocado too - especially mashed up with banana.

The Clarks said...

How fun! Those pictures are precious!