After the funeral, Kyle flew back to Colorado and I returned with the kids to Waco so Anna-Jane could enjoy one more birthday present: Disney on Ice: Princess Wishes.
Earlier on in my idealist mom days, I swore my child would not be encouraged into the Princess Metality. I didn't want her growing up feeling overly privilaged or my most despised flaw: entitlement. I didn't mind if she saw some of the movies, but more that I didn't want the house to look like the Princess aisle of Toys R Us. I wanted her to play with trucks and musical instruments, as well as dress-up, etc. (she does play with trucks and musical instruments, btw). Well, our house may not be all Disney-ified but the Princesses are definitley a part of our everyday.
My mom found out it was in town right after their birthday and asked to take her. How could I deny them that experience?! I have never been more excited about anything I wasn't actually going to.
So Anna-Jane got dresses up in her Tinkerbelll dress (which shocked me b/c Ariel is her fave) and headed out to the show.
Guess who they ran into?
Mom said she was rapt with attention the whole time except to yell out "There's Tinkerbell!!" or "That's Ariel!!" 
Of course they didn't make it out of there without succumbing to the big Disney Empire resulting in:
1 $10 icee in a collectible Tinkerbell cup
1 $10 Cotton Candy with collector's mickey ears crown
1 $10 program with collector's coloring book and fake "Belle" Rose
The poor child would have remained so, if I had taken her. Such is the right of the Grandma.




0 comments:
Post a Comment