Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Judah Benton Leonard is here!

According to a statistics website I just found, there is a 2.7% chance that a child will be born on their sibling's birthday.

On November 14, 2007, Kyle and I welcomed our first-born into the world. Labor started at 2am and she was born by 8am. On November 14, 2009, labor woke me up at 2am. The contractions were not too painful, but they were consistent at 5 min. apart. I woke the family who'd been waiting for this for a week (my mom and my sister had arrived the Saturday before). We sat around for a while as we timed contractions, napped, and waited for my midwife to arrive. Dotti and her assistant Dawn got there around 4:30am. I had such a quick labor with Anna-Jane that they wanted to get there early just in case especially since I now live about an hour away. I had been having pre-labor (contractions that were stronger, somewhat regular, but never progressed into active labor) on and off for at least 4 days and was getting emotionally frustrated. Once Dotti arrived, my labor slowed down some and was less consistent. I agreed to trying some Castor Oil to try to move things back towards active. I took two doses (nasty nasty stuff that is!) and then took a nap for about an hour. I never thought I'd be one of those who could sleep during labor, but when you are up at that hour and have been having some insomnia for several nights....it isn't that hard. When I woke up from the nap around 11 and went into the kitchen for some food (yummy soup) and as I sat on the ball, I started having contractions 2 min. apart and they were getting stronger. By 11:30, I was in full-blown active labor.
Around 12:30, I decided I needed to be in the pool. It truly is the "midwife's epidural". It at least takes the edge off. Not much longer after I was in the tub, I felt the urge to push.

Judah Benton Leonard was born at 1:30pm. Kyle was able to actually catch him (Anna-Jane shot past his hands last time) and put him on my chest. My mom, sister, and Anna-Jane were all able to be there for the actual birth. When Anna-Jane saw him she exclaimed, "Baby! Good Baby!" Then she wanted in the tub with me, but was quickly taken off for a nap.

Kyle got to hold him as I made my way to the bedroom. He was quickly in love.


During the newborn exam, Anna-Jane woke up from her nap.

We were already taking guesses as to this chunker's weight. 9lbs. 5oz.!! He also settled in and ate for almost an entire hour straight. I couldn't believe he was still eating.


Auntie Robin holding him for the first time:


Bibi holding him for the first time:

We are so in love with this little man! His sister loves kissing him and pointing out his eyes, nose, hands, etc. When he cries (rarely) she asks, "what's wrong?".



Family Photo




We appreciate all the well wishes, calls, and facebook comments! I'm so glad to be holding my baby and enjoying him with family.

Judah is from the Bible and means Praise. Judah was the first into battle as he worshipped God and went before the troops into battle for the Lord. Our prayer is that praise to the Lord and prayer will always precede him in life. We pray his life will be filled with praise for the Lord.

Benton (his middle name) is Kyle's mother's maiden name. D.A. Benton is Kyle's grandfather and a great man. He has always praised God in his life and we were blessed to carry on that name to our son. Benton is also Kyle's middle name.

3 comments:

walkers said...

he is beautiful! so proud of you!

Jen Windle said...

such an encouraging story to read for me right now! thank you for sharing! yall are too sweet

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! What a big man!?!
He is a precious baby.